Monday, September 20, 2010

Answers

Landon still fights. Oh how I wish I could help him. If only it were possible to take on some of the burden, to lighten his load. I keep telling him how brave he is and how proud I am of him. I have never seen anything like this, he just keeps hanging on. James and I have been feeling desperate for answers, today we got some, not exactly the ones we were hoping for.
It seems that what happened yesterday was not a result of meningitis. That explains why he was improving and then the sudden turn for the worse. There were three viruses that were suspected culprits. This morning the test results came in that Landon has Enterovirus. This is a completely new development and changes everything from treatment to the way we are able to interact with him. This virus is harmless in adults and would present as the common cold. In rare cases a newborn contracts it and it causes a massive infection of the organs. Our doctor says that he has seen only five of these cases, all of these were fatal. Initially when I heard this my world spun again, but reality is that Landon is still very much alive and actually showing signs of improvement. Since he is fighting a virus, they are supporting his organs and giving him all the help he needs, but he has to fight the virus on his own. His little heart is working so hard to keep oxygen to his organs.
I am starting to realize how many people across the world are holding Landon up in prayer. It is all of us standing in the gap together that has truly brought mercy and favor to our family. There is no medical reason for Landon's survival yesterday. The septic shock made his initial blood ph test extremely out of balance. A normal ph is around 7.35-7.42. Babies in the NICU are in a desperate situation when their ph is -10. Landon's was -36, unsurvivable even by an adult. Then there is the fact that two times yesterday his heart stopped and he had to have cpr. Organs always have damage when the blood is not pumped effectively to them. Miraculously he is not suffering from massive damage from those two episodes. Also he is in the fight of his life with this virus that is intent on infecting his heart, yet that little heart just keeps going. From where we were this morning to where we are now is amazing. It has been a wonderful day, listening to the doctors shake their head in amazement.
Our major concerns for the next few hours are his kidneys and a new seizure development. The kidneys were damaged during the trauma of yesterday when they just did not receive enough blood during the compressions. It is imperative that they resume their function. Dialysis is possible but he would have to be transported to Portland. Right now it is questionable that he is stable enough to make the trip. His kidneys are working slowly, so it is my prayer that God repairs them here so Landon can just rest. This evening we got word that one of the nurses recognized seizure symptoms. Infant seizures can be hard to detect as they look nothing like they do on tv. I was a bit surprised that they could see anything at all, since he is very sedated. He has medicine for those now and we need to pray that they do not continue. It was not unexpected, in light of the burden on his body from yesterday, it was just disappointing. If they continue it can be a sign of neurological consequences.
Several people have asked if we have considered breast milk for Landon. I think we have located some and are thrilled to offer that when he is healthy enough to eat again. Just another piece of the puzzle.
We are remaining hopeful and steadfast in our petition. Thank you for staying the course with us.
Ephesians 3:14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

6 comments:

  1. This morning as I was reading your Landon update, I weep with you, feeling your utter helplessness. Standing in amazement, realizing how many people literally around the world that are constantly joining in prayer for the little guy!! I can hear the childeren at Sovanapoom Care praying in Unison for Landon:) and my heart fills with gratitude and my eyes fill with tears, for all our Christian friends who so readily and willing drop everything to stop and pray, not just an arrow shot up to God but a fervant constant prayer.
    A verse for you and James to hopefully be a bit of encouragement. Isaiah 41:10 "Fear not. I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will stregnthen you, yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with My righteous right hand,"
    We have a BIG GOD!!! Love to you, your friend Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know your family, but I have been following Landon's fight for life via friends on Facebook, and subsequently through your blog. I have been praying for little Landon and your family, that God will sustain his little body and your strength through this time of his fight for life. God is being glorified even now, through his young life.

    A friend in Christ,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have primarily been following Landon through Rebecca's fb statuses, but try to get to your blog for more details when I can. I am praying. The pain of separation in a NICU situation effects the whole family and only adds to the nightmare. I used to weep over my son's "incubator" praying, begging, thanking God for holding him when I could not. Even now I feel those old emotions as I watch your family walk this road. Our favorite devotional book says this: "Wherever I go, I know that God's Never Stopping-Never Giving Up-Unbreaking-Always and Forever Love will go too!" Ps. 23:6 (from The Jesus Story Book Bible). You are not alone. You are so deeply loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just heard about Landon from my Aunt Karen and wanted to let you know that we will be holding you all up in our prayers. We will ultimately pray for his healing--what a little fighter! I can only imagine the anxiety and stress that you all are feeling and will pray for the peace that passes all understanding.
    Love in Christ,
    Meadow (and the Frey's in Kansas)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found out about baby Landon via facebook an found out you had this blog.The last time I found my slef praying was when my mom past away till yesterday.I have never prayed for someone more in my life than I have for this lil baby.My kids sent a prayer out for him tonight when they had to go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, you don't know me but I want you to know there is a wonderful couple in Portland that opens their home to those in need if you had to go to Portland. Justina and Karen know me and could connect us if need be :) It would be a $ saver and fellowship is good when we need held. -Joy Anne

    ReplyDelete