Monday, February 23, 2009

Cambo Craziness























































































































































The past two days James and I and the boys have been exploring the city. The last three weeks we have spent at the orphanage and we have finished all of the projects we set out to accomplish. The rest of our group went to Siam Reap to see the ancient ruins of Angkor Wat, a trip that would have been pretty long for the boys. It has been nice to just relax and walk around, savoring each bizzarre sight before we leave. We both think of the children at Sovanapoom often, I can't tell you enough how they have made an impact on my life. It has only been two days since I have seen sweet Goontee and Robbie but I am really missing them, not a good sign.
Yesterday we had breakfast at a local restrauant, on the riverfront. It is fun to watch traffic here, as you never know what you are going to see. Along with carts of bbq-d snails and motos with families of 5, we saw an elephant. Yes, an elephant was walking down the middle of the road right in front of the restrauant. I thought Ryan and Kenden were going to have heart attacks! They could hardly contain themselves. James got better pictures, this is one I took, I never left my chair. That might say something for how calloused I am to wierdness, an elephant walks down the street and I didnt even get up. Almost make me feel bad!
There is no shortage of oddities at the markets. They are wild. Ryan has a really hard time with the smells, he gagged through quite a bit of it before I took him out. James continued on a bit more, so intrigued by the stuff they eat. The boys and I passed out Jesus Loves You stickers to the kids, something they all seem to love.
James spotted a tractor dealership so we stopped in to check it out. We then set off to find other tractor stores. They sell these big things for about $20,000. The little walk behind ones are cool, I have seen several in the villiage. I think they are a bit more reasonable for the locals. James really liked the old Ford tractor, not sure how much that one was.
We have gotten to spend more time with the Carraways, missionaries from New Tribes that are here for the next few years. We love hearing their stories and seeing what is going on here from their perspective. I admire their dedication to the work here and the way they are able to jump in and serve. Hopefully we will be going to see a farm project tomorrow with them. Spending time with them has really been a blessing.

1 comment:

  1. Are those bugs?? I can't believe you got that shot of the monkey! That's great lol!

    ReplyDelete