Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Feeding Program: You Would Have To See It To Believe It














We left the hotel this morning at 6am to get to the orphanage to see the feeding program and go to church. The experience will not be something I ever forget. Seeing so many people waiting in line for a small amount of noodles is just humbling. Ryan did great, he passed out food and never missed a chance to get his cheeks pinched. They all love his skin and freckles, so many people just stare at him and smile. There wasnt one of us that made it through today without getting teared up, I have never seen anything like that. You can see alot in the pictures, but what you cant see is the smell, the area near the orphanage smells terrible. I think there are dead things all over the place, as well as the filth of having so many people in such primitive conditions. You also cant see all the people in the shadows, they peek out and watch us like we are from Mars. I wonder now if they might be right. I think we stepped back in time.




By the time church started emotions were running high. Hearing them sing and watching them laugh I am reminded of what church is supposed to be. They come as they are, no dressing up and sitting properly, they just go. They are sincere and they praise God for what they have. Singing The Power Of Your Love standing beside an eight year old orphan who is HIV positive is not something I will be able to walk away and forget.




The boys couldnt make it through the service, they both fell asleep on the tile floor. The orphans thought it was so funny, they kept laying down beside them and wanting their picture taken. The boys are kind of a big deal around here (spoken by James of course). I hope this gets a little easier, altough I cant imagine it will. I am honored to be here, seeing God use a few people to impact many.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the elephant pics! I bet Ryan was totally jazzed. I love that he is getting to experiance all this. Looks like he's enjoying it. XOXOXOXOXO Shannon

    ReplyDelete