Thursday, February 12, 2009

Kids So Cute, So Many Stories














































These kids just get more precious every day. Im sure you will agree, the more we are around them and the more we get to know them the more sweet they become. There are moments when I cant imagine walking out that door for the last time. Yikes, cant even discuss that yet.
I have been beading with the older kids and making some really cool jewelry. The plan is to bring it home and sell it (to all of you!) then buy more beads and send them over. They are going to keep making jewelry and sell it to teams that come to help out. I think it is a good plan. They are very talented and creative. I have given them simple patterns and they have come back with intricate designs that are really impressive. You have to keep in mind that they have very little experience with any kind of jewelry. They sure dont see much around the orphanage!
I peeked in on a worship session this morning. Had to get pictures of them singing. I really need to video that, you all will love it. They are also good with music. I am hoping James will have time to play with some of the boys. In the picture you will see Robbie, Samson and Goontee (three of my fav kidos. Goontee informed me that her name was spelled "G-double-O-T -double-E, very good way to remember!)
Also in the picture is Kenden with Panet and another of Kenden with SreyJen and Samson. He is finally having fun at the orphanage!
Lori, Stan and Abigail and I went to the market to get a few things for our projects. Lori needed fabric and I needed beads. We found piles and piles of both. I think that I am ruined from conventional shopping from now on. This is always such an adventure, shopping at home seems boring!! Where else can you walk by piles of dead chickens ready to be plucked for your dinner, thousands of flower arrangements, baskets of fish (that smell is unreal) and whole hanging pigs on your way to shoe heaven?? I also love that there are feet in the shoes, just for special effects I suppose. Beyond shoe heaven are rows and rows of seamstresses and fabric by the bazillion yard (or meter here). I bought bags of beads, the same ones that were almost $4 at home for $.50 here. Anything related to clothing or fabric was on this floor of the market. It was the only floor we visited today, and as usual it was really fun just wandering around.
Tomorrow is vbs, they are very long days for us. We are doing it 3 days a week then helping with school the other days. Lori is up to her eyes in sewing projects so when I can I try and offer to help her. I am not the best at sewing, wish I would have paid more attention to my moms lessons!

2 comments:

  1. That is a great story. I think it is AWESOME that you get to do stuff like that with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy! I'm glad the beads are a hit. We were going to have chicken for dinner... It sounds like you are starting to have fun. And Wow, the market place is amazing. It doesn't sound like the market vendors have quite the mark up we have here. I love the fact that the shoe feet have nail polish on them :)
    (By the way... It snowed 3 inches over the last few days. Do you miss it?)
    The play ground looks awesome and the boys look happy. We hope James is doing better and we have you all in our prayers every day. Miss you, -B

    ReplyDelete