Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Trip To Tuol Sleng Prison S. 21, And The Russian Market














































Well, what do you write about a genocide museum? I have done my share of reading about the era of the Khmer Rouge, it is dark and disturbing. Seeing this prison put a very real taste of how these people suffered. 20, 000 people died at this school turned prison from 1975-1979. The torture rivaled that of a Nazi death camp, and there was no escaping. You can imagine the stained tile floors, clawed at doors, skulls with bullet holes and the huge pile of their confiscated clothing. Then there was the sadness of people touring the museum with us, looking for their relatives among the pictures and names. James and Ryan went through the whole thing, I couldn't quite make it that far.
After lunch we went to the Russian Market for some souvenir shopping. There is isle after isle of things you can buy, from silk to hammocks to roasted roaches. It is fun but I so hate bartering! I am getting better, it takes me a bit less time now to get my price and I have figured out the three phrases they know to get you to buy from them. Be sure to check out the air conditioning system in the picture and the great holes in the ceiling. What do they do when it rains??
Speaking of rain, James was telling me that Jon from the orphanage told him that one day it rained 3 feet in 3 hours!! Can you even imagine that? He said it was coming down so hard it was diffucult to breathe. I am glad for the sturdy walls of Sovanapoom but I wonder what that must have been like for the villagers. Their poor shacks couldnt have kept them very dry. Coming from the desert, I cant even imagine rain like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment