Friday, February 20, 2009

Living Cambo Style
















I think I have commented a couple times about how I am getting so used to things here, things that would have shocked me or things that I said I would never do (such as ride a moto with my kids!!) have now become common. I will try and get more pictures today of things that are truly weird, but oh so normal here!! Our new routine is to get dropped off by the ferry and buy food from one of the vendors. Never thought I would be eating food from one of these tents, but now I do it all the time! They have great bread. To get to the vendor you have to cross the creek of trash on the little board bridge. Very normal looking here. Why wouldn't you have a trash creek where you eat?? Then when we are on the village side of the river we get motos to take us to the orphanage. Ryan is all about this. He hates walking when it is hot and I get tired of dragging him along, promising him that we are really almost there (its about 3/4 of a mile). We pay about $.25 for the moto ride, money well spent. They are pretty fun, and in the village there is not much traffic so it is not as dangerous.
Ryan is greeted at the door (if you ask him he will say attacked) by this old lady named Zoom. She works and lives at the orphanage and two of her granddaughters live there. She LOVES Ryan and his freckles. She has to pick him up and kiss him EVERY time she sees him. He takes it well but usually looks really bored and limp. All of us think it is funny, well all of us except for Ryan.
Yesterday James got hit by one of the villagers. Yes, I am serious. I guess this nasty drunk guy came out in the street and was yelling at him as James was walking to the ferry. James moved past him and the guy slapped his back. I can imagine James' blood pressure rising, but he had Ryan and like and good dad, just kept walking. A lady told James that the guy was crazy. It is sad what people do when they are drunk, proves they are the same here as they are at home. He also harassed Chuck and Stan. Glad I got to miss out on that kind of action, to scary for me! That makes two in our group to have gotten hit by locals. You wouldnt believe who the other one was, lets just say Cheryl will have some stories to tell!
Most of the group is going on a moto tour of the island (where the village is). They have all rented motos so James is pretty excited to get to drive is own. They went helmet shopping yesterday afternoon. Ryan says that his is "the coolest thing on earth." So many bizarre things here and he thinks that is helmet takes the cake. Sooo Ryan. He wore it all evening and put it on first thing this morning. He also thinks it makes him look like he is in Star Wars so James gave him the flashlight to use as a light saber. Ryan is really excited about the ride today, it is going to be around 6 hours long, I hope he can make it!






No comments:

Post a Comment